Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Simply Good

I stood in a loose circle with the old Sicilian school gardener and two other fathers. We warmed ourselves by sipping the Sicilian's homemade vegetable soup from old ceramic bowls.

I felt an intense feeling of happy contentment as I viewed the new height adjustable basketball hoops that we had just spent the morning assembling.

The hoops will give happiness and health to many children for years to come. This small group of men sought no reward but were grateful for the tasty warm soup. There were no hidden corporate motives and as there were no woman present there were also no subconscious sexual motives.

It was all simple and good and the Sicilian's strong faith contributed to creating a quite Biblical scene in my mind.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting the opening sentences made me think of a biblical scene as well, if there was murder, mayhem and intrigue it would definitely be very "Da Vinci Code-ish". Cermaic bowl soup is great...just, it's too HOT for it over here these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zee I can see from your blog that that it is very hot over there on the other side of Aus! This scene happened a few months ago on a chilly winters day. A great day for soup. It was a moment where I was surprised about how good I felt. I wanted to record it because I feel that it provides clues about achieving a happy life. The Sicilian is a great character, passionate about life, family and religion. Da Vinci Code - I could imagine him on the good side :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something special about ceramic or "claypot" cooking...in fact, that is why we still prefer to use old fashioned clay pots to brew decoctions...it's almost like it's more therapeutic...being of a hippie disposition, I believe somehow the energies of earthenware imbue the food with that something extra...perhaps like how with organic food I honestly get more full on smaller portions(try this especially with rice, pasta, potatoes)...our hippie theory is that the food not superpumped up with chemical boosters has had its time to grow slowly and had time to take in the energy of the sun and the elements!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Z. My children and I have a vegetable garden. Everyday I take cutting from the garden for cooking. I always cut the vegetable and then cook it or eat it immediately. I think there is something special in that like eating berries straight from the tree. Simple and natural feels best.

    ReplyDelete