Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Honourable Japan

I recently returned from a trip to Japan. There are many great things to say about Japan but I think the greatest thing is the culture. The people of Japan are so good and honourable and respectful. Although the cities are endless masses of concrete with enormous populations and we sometimes walked late at night from train stations in long underground walkways, I never once felt the slightest concern for our safety. Big city does not equal dangerous city.

My 8 year old daughter beautifully described the masses of people descending the stairs of a train station as an "avalanche of people". The greater metropolitan area of Tokyo has a larger population than the whole of Australia!

2 comments:

  1. LOL strange, Tokyo and Japan has been on the brain lately with me and another one of my blogger friends- he just went as well and I am planning my visit there, Japan being the only part of Asia I have always felt an affinity with... "Avalanche of people" would be right! I saw his picture of the street crossings and thought hmmm maybe not..."I'm too scared to be swept up in such huge crowds!"

    And he also mentioned that idea of it being such a civilised culture/society...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crowds may sometimes feel overwhelming but I don't think you will feel scared. It will feel like an adventure. You can see a lot of Tokyo by getting on and off a circular train line. If you stay on that line you will not get lost because it returns you to the same place you started from. It also has english announcements and writing.

    There are many things to experience and see in Japan. If you can you should stay in a hotel that has an onsen. It is an enlighting experience and after a few times the nerves will disappear and you will find it very relaxing. Especially after a hard day of exploring the city.

    ReplyDelete