Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Henry

His wide bony shoulders the only remnants of this once wide set heavily built man. His fragile skeleton held precariously together by unseen frayed tendons and worn cartilage. He moved along the ageing suburban footpath at a rate of one small step every minute or so. His walking stick keeping him upright.

"Henry?" I called from a slight distance so as not to startle him and with a questioning tone, not sure if this was the man I remembered from my childhood. As I approached he lifted his head and dark skin sagged from his skeleton face. He peered at me through his thick glasses and smiled and said "Hello handsome". I smiled back.

4 comments:

  1. When I first read this I thought YOU said to him "hello handsome", lol that's what I would have said...no wonder old men are my biggest fans, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I became his biggest fan after that so I am not surprised :)

    I was worried that he would not make it back to his home which was only half a house away. He is having kemo but is having a very positive optimistic attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chemo is the shits, may he feel better. lol who knew you were vain- i guess you are an aries after all ;)

    ReplyDelete